- 1 Who discovered lake Rudolph?
- 2 Where is the largest lake in Africa located?
- 3 How many freshwater lakes are in Africa?
- 4 Which is the largest desert lake in the world?
- 5 What are the 3 largest lakes in Africa?
- 6 Which country in Africa has more lakes?
- 7 Are there sharks in Lake Victoria Africa?
- 8 What are the two major lakes in Africa?
- 9 Is the largest freshwater body in Africa?
- 10 What’s the most spoken language in Africa?
- 11 Is the highest volcanic mountain in Africa?
Who discovered lake Rudolph?
1894 Discovery of Lakes Rudolf and Stefanie: A Narrative of Count Samuel Teleki’s Exploring and Hunting Expedition in Eastern Equatorial Africa in 1887 and 1888.
Where is the largest lake in Africa located?
Lake Victoria, also called Victoria Nyanza, largest lake in Africa and chief reservoir of the Nile, lying mainly in Tanzania and Uganda but bordering on Kenya. Its area is 26,828 square miles (69,484 square km). Among the freshwater lakes of the world, it is exceeded in size only by Lake Superior in North America.
How many freshwater lakes are in Africa?
According to the WORLDLAKE data- base, there are 677 lakes in Africa, with 88 of them listed as principal lakes (see Appendix). Although lakes are a source of livelihoods in most African societies, they are also a major source of natural disas- ters, tropical diseases and pandemics.
Which is the largest desert lake in the world?
Lake Turkana, the world’s largest desert lake, is part of the Omo-Turkana basin, which stretches into four countries: Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan and Uganda.
What are the 3 largest lakes in Africa?
These include the 3 largest lakes in Africa – Victoria, Tanganyika and Malawi – as well as lakes Turkana, Albert, Edward, Kivu and several others. The lakes are important habitats for a number of fish and amphibian species, abundant birdlife and numerous crocodiles.
Which country in Africa has more lakes?
The east African nation of Uganda has the largest number of lakes (69) among the African countries. Uganda’s lakes account for about 10% of the total number of lakes on the continent. Although it is a landlocked country, much of its border is lakeshore.
Are there sharks in Lake Victoria Africa?
Victorian waters are home to at least seven varieties of sharks, according to Fisheries Victoria. These include heavyweights like the seven-metre, three-tonne great whites but also smaller relatives of the shark family like the iridescent elephant sharks that don’t grow past 1.5 metres.
What are the two major lakes in Africa?
Top Lakes in Africa
- Lake Victoria. Bordered by Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania, Lake Victoria is the largest lake in Africa and the second-largest freshwater lake in the world.
- Lake Naivasha.
- Lake Nakuru.
- Lake Tanganyika.
- Lake Nyasa.
- Lake Albert.
- Lake Kivu.
Is the largest freshwater body in Africa?
1. Lake Victoria. Lake Victoria is the largest freshwater body in Africa and the second largest in the world, smaller only than Lake Superior, which is one of North America’s Great Lakes.
What’s the most spoken language in Africa?
While Arabic is the most spoken language in Africa, there’s plenty more – other popular languages include Amharic, Berber, Portuguese, Oromo, Igbo, Yoruba, Zulu and Shona.
Is the highest volcanic mountain in Africa?
Located in Tanzania, Mount Kilimanjaro is the African continent’s highest peak at 5,895 meters (19,340 feet). The majestic mountain is a snow-capped volcano. Located in Tanzania, Mount Kilimanjaro is Africa’s tallest mountain at about 5,895 meters (19,340 feet).